Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year of Commodore Goodness

Happy New Year to everyone! I had the pleasure of attending a Commodore event last night and had an awesome time. I learned all kinds of new and interesting things about retro computing and some of the cutting edge devices I have ever seen in the 8 bit computing era. The coolest one was the Vectrex. This thing is by far one of the neatest gaming devices I have ever seen. The Vectrex is a vector display-based video game console that was developed by Western Technologies/Smith Engineering. It was licensed and distributed first by General Consumer ElectricMilton Bradley Company after their purchase of GCE. It was released in November 1982 at a retail price of $199 ($440 compensated for inflation[1]); as Milton Bradley took over international marketing the price dropped to $150 and then $100 shortly before the video game crash of 1983. 

I got to play Pole Position, and Berzerk on this console and it was truly worth the play. It feels like you are back in an 80s mini arcade. I also meet an actual Commodore digital synth musician named Andreus @ www.greightbit.com. This gentleman was amazing. He takes both Nintendo GameBoys and Commodore 64 and turns them into musical instruments that he uses to create low-end 8-Bit synth beats. He gave me a sample of some of his GameBoy music on a portable amplifier he had, and I have to say I was impressed. The AllConsolesGamer shared with me some of his latest YouTube videos and adventures with the latest on Bayou Billy for the NES. I recommend subscribing to his channel. He is quite entertaining and gives great reviews on the best in video gaming.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commodore SX-64 Executive Portable Computer